MS Analysis of Intact Protein
The intact protein is analysed by either ESI-TOF MS or Linear MALDI-TOF MS. Generally, ESI-TOF MS is recommended as it is more accurate and requires less sample. Proteins are treated in a variety of ways depending on the sample and the MS method used. Once analysed the result is reported as a mass, plus or minus the experimental error.
The accurate assignment of a proteins mass
- Highly accurate mass information (accurate to 0.01% for ESI-TOF)
- Can be used for basic glycoprotein analysis
- Generally larger amounts of sample are required
- The protein must be pure (>90%)
- Ideally the sample is in solution, or solid format
- Not all proteins are amenable to MS analysis
- Highly glycosylated, or variably glycosylated, proteins can be difficult to analyse
For further details or advice on this APAF service please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.